14 foods to avoid during pregnancy:
1. Raw Meat: Uncooked seafood and rare or undercooked beef or poultry should be avoided. The risk of contamination with Coliform bacteria, toxoplasmosis, and salmonella is there.
2. Deli Meat: Deli meats at times get contaminated with Listeria, which can cause miscarriage. Listeria has the ability to cross the placenta. That way it may infect the baby causing infection or blood poisoning. It may be life-threatening. In case you really desire to eat deli meats, you should definitely reheat the meat until it is steaming.
3. Fish with Mercury: Fish containing high levels of mercury consumred during pregnancy has been found to cause developmental delays and brain damage. Shark, swordfish, king mackerel, tilefish, and canned, chunk light tuna should only be eaten in moderation. Even certain types of fish used in sushi contain high levels of mercury.
4. Smoked Seafood: Refrigerated, smoked seafood could be contaminated with Listeria. However, these are safe to eat when they are an ingredient in a meal that has been cooked.
5. Fish Exposed to Industrial Pollutants: Fish like bluefish, striped bass, salmon, pike, trout, and walleye from contaminated lakes and rivers exposed to high levels of polychlorinated biphenyls should be avoided at all cost. Although this is applicable only in case of fish caught in local waters and not from the local grocery store.
6. Raw Shellfish: Undercooked shellfish such as oysters, clams, and mussels are the major cause of seafood-borne illness. Cooking does prevent infection, but not the algae-related infections.
7. Raw Eggs: Raw eggs used for Caesar dressings, mayonnaise, homemade ice cream or custards, and Hollandaise sauces made with raw eggs should be avoided altogether because of the potential exposure to salmonella.
8. Soft Cheese: Imported soft blue-veined cheese such as Danish blue, gorgonzola and Roquefort are made with mould and can contain Listeria bacteria that causes listeriosis, which even in a mild form can lead to stillbirth or severe illness in a newborn baby. Soft cheese such as Brie, Camembert, Roquefort, Feta, Gorgonzola and Mexican style cheese that include queso blanco and queso fresco are not safe. But cheese made with pasteurized milk is safe to eat.
9. Unpasteurized Milk: Unpasteurized milk may also contain Listeria.
10. Caffeine: Although it is not concluded definitely that caffeine intake may be related to miscarriages, it is better to refrain from having it during the first trimester. Since caffeine is a diuretic, it can result in water and calcium loss. It is better to increase the intake of water, juice, and milk rather than caffeinated beverages.
11. Alcohol: Prenatal exposure to alcohol can hamper healthy development of the baby. Alcohol consumption can even lead to fatal alcohol syndrome.
12. Unwashed Vegetables: Vegetables should be washed to remove all traces of soil containing toxoplasma, a parasite that can cause toxoplasmosis.
13. Liver: Liver or liver products, such as liver pâté or liver sausage, contain excessive vitamin A which may harm your baby.
14. Supplements: High-dose multivitamin supplements, fish liver oil supplements, and vitamin A are better avoided.
A little awareness about proper nutritious food, diet during pregnancy and which foods to avoid during Pregnancy could make pregnancy an enjoyable experience.